Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Sesame Workshop

I chose to read about the Sesame Workshop. I have worked with kindergarten students for 17 years and Sesame Street and its characters have always been popular with my students. Even as a young child myself, I can remember watching Sesame Street and can even remember some of the songs. In my opinion it is the best children’s show that has ever been made. Not only does it focus on literacy and math, but also social skills, physical and emotional health, and building community. I like the way that the show uses characters from all cultures and ethnic groups. All students can relate to one character or another. There are even children on the show with special needs.

My own children like to watch many of the other shows created through the Sesame Workshop. Dragon Tales and Pinky Dinky Doo are two of their favorites. The theme of both of these shows encourages children to take chances and use their imaginations, two very important skills that children need. As a teacher, I see students who really don’t know how to use their imagination or think for themselves. The shows created by the Sesame Workshop teach children thinking skills while entertaining them. I think these shows have affected generations of children. Students need certain readiness skills when they enter Kindergarten that will enable them to be successful later in school. Sesame Street and the other shows help children attain these skills in a fun and inviting way. Several years ago, children only had a few shows on T.V. that were appropriate for them. They did not have nearly as many choices as they do today. In this age of technology, children are bombarded by video games, computers, dvds, and television shows. Many of the games and shows children watch today have no educational value whatsoever. I am grateful to the creators and producers of the Sesame Workshop shows. When students tune in and watch these shows, they are at least being exposed to skills that will benefit them later.

I also appreciate the global efforts of the Sesame Workshop. Many of their shows are in several different languages. When my ELL Kindergarten students came to school for the first day this year, many of them saw familiar characters in my classroom. I have Big Bird, Elmo, Grover, and Cookie Monster from Sesame Street. Even the children who spoke no English knew who these characters were. There was something familiar they could identify with, even in such a strange setting. These characters helped me to connect with my students and begin a relationship. I realize that by just watching a T. V. show students do not learn all of the necessary skills needed to be successful, but I am glad there are shows like Sesame Street and the other shows of the Sesame Workshop that children can watch and just be kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment