Monday, September 28, 2009

Diversity in the Classroom

I was fortunate enough not to grow up during the time when schools were segregated. I say fortunate because I have a friend who describes the day when busses pulled in with the new students to begin integration of her Nashville high school. She describes how she felt as she heard the yelling and saw the fighting. I am glad I was not in school during that time. When I began school, there were African American students and white students in all of my classes. I had never known another way. We were just kids together at school.

My experience with diversity in the classroom has been that most kindergarten students do not see color. Every year we begin the year with an “All About Me” theme. We read books about being different in some ways, and being the same in other ways. We talk about having different hair, eye, and skin color. I tell them that even though they are different on the outside, they are the same on the inside with feeling and emotions. One year a little boy turned to his friend and said, “Open your mouth and let me see.”

I am always amazed at how the students see each other. They are just kids who become friends because their names happen to be on the same classroom list. Parents however, sometimes have other ideas. Just as the articles I read for this assignment had very different opinions, so does society in general. The authors of these articles had a very specific purpose they were trying to convey. Each view is based on individual upbringings and family beliefs. Whether you support or denounce racism or multiculturalism, your view is clouded by when and with whom you grew up.

I do not think that multiculturalism is wrong, nor do I believe that racism is right I do think that we as Americans have the responsibility to teach all children what it means to be an American, including our traditions and customs. One of those traditions includes opening our door for those looking for a better life for their families. I also think that it is important for our children to learn the history of this country so they, too, can see why some people have the beliefs that they do.

People of all races and nationalities come to our country hoping for a better life and future. We as educators should embrace the “challenge of multiculturalism” and teach our students what they need to be successful in life. I think it is our job as educators to help our students understand that all people are valuable, no matter their color or background. Whether this is done by teaching history or integrating other cultures into our current events teaching, students need to learn that individuals’ views are shaped by their experiences and their backgrounds.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your entry was interesting, but I wonder what you thought about those articles that were listed for you to blog about?

    ReplyDelete